Thursday, March 1, 2012

Back to School Again



In an attempt to be ready for the arrival of Baby Boy, Kim and I went to the first of two baby caring classes. We were fortunate enough to have Michelle and Kelly watch this spectacle with us.

I've read materials and was lectured numerous times by Principal Chai to feel confident enough to take care of baby if he were to come out today. But the paranoid father in me was looking forward to a class to A) see how much I already knew compared to watch they'd be teaching, and B) learn something new.

I couldn't be happier when we were leaving class tonight and here are the reasons why (in quick bullet point presentation fashion):
  • Aside from Vaseline and gauze, we had everything listed on the teacher's Must Have list
  • The only "revelation" I picked up today was learning how far to stick a thermometer up a baby's butt
  • There are people that needed this class more than me, making me realize we're in good shape

Example
Instructor: "It is best to have an empty sleeping area in the first 6 months to reduce the chance of S.I.D.S."
New mom: "Are blankets okay?"
Instructor: "It's better to have nothing in there." New mom: "How about a pillow?"
Instructor: "It's best to not have one." New mom: "How about a tiny pillow?"

-_-

No comments: